DOUGLAS COUNTY SENIOR SERVICES (DCSS)
Douglas County Senior Services, Inc. is committed to supporting, advocating, serving and connecting with seniors in Lawrence and Douglas County; it encourages retirees to locate and to remain in Douglas County to become active participants in their community.
The Executive Director provides vision, strategic leadership and management for DCSS. Responsibilities include oversight of all agency objectives, functions, operations, fiscal performance, quality improvement, regulatory compliance and networking relationships. Reports to the Board of Directors. The City and County Commissions appoint the Board of Directors.
Goal: Develop and foster a positive cultural environment of leadership, effective management, communication, teamwork, and innovation within the agency.
- Oversee all staff hiring, development and evaluation.
- Provide day to day supervision and empowerment to management level staff.
- Ensure a high performance agency in which staff development, communication, teamwork, and empowerment and program integrity is assured.
Goal: Along with the Board and the Finance Committee, ensure the agency is financially stable.
- Present regular reports to the Finance Committee and the Board on performance against budget.
- Ensure full compliance with laws and regulations governing all aspects of the agency.
- Ensure audits are completed timely and audit reports are presented to the Finance Committee.
- Ensure all audit recommendations are discussed with the Finance Committee and an appropriate plan of execution is created and followed.
- In tandem with the Marketing & Development Committee, assist with the development and execution of a fundraising plan that supports the budget presented to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure the development and responsible stewardship of internal resources, policies and procedures, and community support for the agency.
Goal: To provide the Board of Directors the information they need to carry out their duties as outlined in the agency’s by-laws.
- Communicate clearly with the Board of Directors, providing input to all committees and the full board.
- Develop policy documents with the board for their approval, including the strategic plan and annual budget.
- Provide regular reports to the Board on the agency’s financial, administrative and programmatic status.
- Meet with the Executive Committee on a regular basis (to be determined by the Executive Committee) to discuss the agenda for board meetings and other topics as requested by the Executive Committee.
Goal: Ensure DCSS increases its community presence, continues to reach its goal to continue to provide services to seniors, and addresses the changing landscape and issues facing seniors in Douglas County.
- Identify and collaborate with external programs and initiatives which support the mission of DCSS.
- Identify and develop internal programs and initiatives which support the mission of DCSS.
- Stay abreast of senior services, retirement and nonprofit market trends and needs.
- Represent a positive image of DCSS within the community as the primary public face and voice of the agency.
- Promote public relations to ensure DCSS continues to be recognized as a vital service provider and resource agency.
- Ensure that the agency increases its leadership role among other community agencies and organizations within Douglas County.
- Support the five year initiative that encourages retirees to move, and/or stay in Lawrence.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience, Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a leadership position in the health care, social science, human services or public administration environment.
- Minimum one year marketing experience, e.g., developing and executing a marketing plan.
- Minimum of three years of experience in fiscal and personnel management.
- Minimum of two years of experience in fund raising and developing strong community relationships.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively multi-task.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint .
- Ability to quickly become familiar with agency related software.
- Experience in a senior services agency environment, preferred.
- Experience in grant writing and grant administration, preferred.
- Experience as an Executive Director at a non-profit agency, preferred.
- Knowledge of the State of Kansas legislative processes and regulations, preferred.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work on a computer.
- Ability to read, write and verbally communicate.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three references, no later than 2/19/2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org